Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is being aggressively rolled out by several operators. Like the macro cell networks, small cells are also expected to support VoLTE and essentially provide the same quality of experience (QoE). Users will continue to use VoLTE service and also several more data-hungry applications like video on demand (VoD), video call, file transfer, etc. These different data types have separate QoS requirements and they need to be handled by the access point simultaneously without compromising the quality of service for any of them.
Massive deployment of these small cells requires the Femto gateways to handle the tremendous amount of traffic originating from these small cells and the users. The functionality, capacity and performance of the network and the network equipment must be validated in the lab because of the security requirements, increased number of connections and the high volume of user plane traffic towards the gateway.
EXFO’s small cell testing solution offers advanced features to test the small cell access point and also provides leading capacity and performance on the QualityAssurer platform to validate the gateways.
Figure 1: EPC and IMS simulation in a box for (H)eNB validation
Figure 2: Simulation of LTE RAN and EPC for LTE Femtocell gateway validation
- (Home) eNodeB Testing
- Simulation of EPC, IMS and eNB in the same box to validate S1 and X2 interfaces
- Extensive support of VoLTE testing based on IR.92 and IR.94
- Validation of dense X2 links and SON features
- Support of IPSec, IRAT mobility, location-based services
- LTE Femto GW Testing
- Simulation of several thousands of access points and subscribers
- Mix of several state full traffic with 10G line rate capability
- Ability to analyze statistics in real time
- Core Network in a single box with advanced features
- Unmatched flexibility to cater to changing requirements
- Very high capacity and performance per chassis
- Line-rate traffic generation and analysis on 10G
Wi-Fi hotspots operate on unlicensed spectrum offering low cost and high capacity connections to the internet. The operators can consider the carrier grade Wi-Fi access points as an extension of their radio access network infrastructure.
To facilitate the use of Wi-Fi to offload the traffic from the cellular network, specifications have been well-defined. There are significant challenges in integrating the Wi-Fi access network to the operator’s core network. Special arrangements must be made to handle the security, accounting and mobility related issues which were not fully relevant or different for standalone Wi-Fi deployments.
EXFO’s Wi-Fi Offload Testing solution running on the QualityAssurer and custom built hardward modules allow the NEMs and the MNOs to recreate complex real-world conditions in the lab and validate the capability of the equipment and the network under test. It can be used to test the network end-to-end or isolate specific elements within the network.
- Up to one million Wi-Fi access points and subscribers per 10G port
- Support of Layer2 encapsulation over GRE (L2oGRE)
- Based on 3GPP Rel12 SaMOG
- Application server simulation
- Support of voice and video over Wi-Fi
- Line-rate traffic generation with realistic mix of traffic pattern
- Real-time statistics for all the streams
- Flexible architecture to support proprietary specifications and negative tests
- Smart replay mechanism to test today’s and tomorrow’s services
The unmatched flexibility of the tool allows for very fast implementation of the various proprietary specifications which are used to communicate between the Wi-Fi access points and the WLAN controller or the WLAN Gateway.
Test scenarios based on the proprietary specification can be developed by EXFO’s professional engineering service team. Alternatively, advanced training by EXFO engineers can help test engineers to master that skill.
Figure 1: End-to-End Testing
Figure 2: Wrap-Around Testing
- Reduced foot print and low total cost of ownership with very high capacity and performance per platform
- Capability of line-rate media traffic generation and analysis on 10G
- Intuitive user interface
- Unmatched flexibility to develop and test customized traffic patterns