The challenges mobile network operators (MNOs) face when managing the huge and growing amount of user data flowing through their networks are well documented.
Left unmanaged, this flood of data completely overwhelms networks, resulting in the abuse of resources, a poor quality of experience (QoE) for subscribers and uncontrolled CAPEX and OPEX. At the same time, MNOs struggle to monetize their growing infrastructure investments.
Through the PCC framework, the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) provides several mechanisms to help MNOs manage user data and monetize it.
- PCC is a framework that provides
- Guaranteed minimum QoS
- Fair usage
- Enables dynamic, fine-grained control of policy (QoS) and charging on a per subscriber and per IP flow basis
- Helps operators monetize their LTE investment by providing customers with a variety of QoS and charging options when choosing a service
Left unmanaged, the growing cost of handling increasing volumes of mobile data will far outstrip revenue growth, making profitability all but impossible.
As operators introduce new services such as VoLTE or strike up partnerships with third-party service providers, the PCC infrastructure is coming under unprecedented stress. There is a lot riding on the correct functioning of PCC in managing mobile data to deliver compelling services, guaranteeing QoE, managing costs and ensuring accurate billing. To ensure success in a live network, these functions must be comprehensively tested in a lab environment under live network conditions.
EXFO QualityAssurer Simulation solution brings:
- Ability to simulate all the relevant network entities, including:
- PCRF for policy management.
- OCS for online charging
- OFCS for offline charging
- Industry leading performance and capacity to match live networks
- 40 Gbit/s(line rate) per module of real application data generation
- 2M subscribers, 4M total bearers and 2M active bearers per module
- 512K RTP sessions per module
- Real-time analysis of every single session
- Measure voice quality on every RTP stream
- Check for GBR/MBR enforcement on each relevant session
- Measure network responsiveness
- Flexibility to simulate any scenario involving PCC including:
- Scenarios to ensure accurate charging and billing based on a variety of criteria (e.g., application type, volume of data transferred, etc.)
- Scenarios involving dynamic policy updates
- PCC as part of the VoLTE service
- Powerful call modeling capabilities to accurately replicate live network traffic patterns and subscriber behavior