Much more than just a protocol analyzer
As mobile networks move to an all-IP model to meet the increasing bandwidth demand and subscriber growth, gaining real-time, end-to-end insight into network performance is more important than ever. This insight is necessary to effectively manage the quality of service throughout the entire network lifecycle. With the introduction of packet network troubleshooting, key performance metrics are more difficult to demonstrate. Instead of measuring transmission only, network service providers need to focus on subscriber- and application-based QoS measurements as well as on QoE.
Optimizing the network with PowerHawk Pro
PowerHawk Pro enables network service optimization and troubleshooting through real-time KPIs and detailed user-plane analysis. Multiple probes remotely capture network traffic from the 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces. A KPI generator processes the network traffic and stores it in a database to be analyzed by the Diagnostics suite and optional M5 Analyzer client software. PowerHawk Pro correlates both control- and user-plane traffic across all interfaces to show a full, end-to-end view of both signaling and userplane data. All this empowers the user to troubleshoot both functionality and quality issues in a single view. All problems can be identified and located immediately.
Unique scalability: Growing the system as needed
PowerHawk Pro consists of up to four probes, a KPI server and database, as well as the Diagnostics suite and optional M5 Analyzer client software, which can run on a laptop or a desktop PC. For a multi-user system, a client server is added, supporting up to 10 simultaneous users.
The Diagnostics suite and optional M5 Analyzer client software are equipped with the chosen technology package that includes all applications and other special functionalities required for full analysis. The KPI server also comes with different KPI technology packages and can support up to four probes. The multi-interface probes can vary in their procedure-processing capacity—from 100 000 LTE sessions per hour to millions—and include the IP application analysis option for more detailed application-level analysis.
Scale from a Single Testing Instrument
PowerHawk Pro can grow seamlessly as your network grows. In a network trial phase, a single testing instrument such as an M5 Analyzer or PowerHawk may be used to verify network element functionality with real-time detailed analysis. After a successful trial, the tool can be scaled up to PowerHawk Pro, which provides unique features ensuring the successful deployment and service optimization of full network clusters. The scale-up path provides maximum component reusability—all software licenses and hardware components can still be used, and none of the existing functionality is lost.
Open Interfaces Probes: Third-Party Systems’ Building Blocks
PowerHawk Pro is a flexible system with open interfaces that can be used to integrate products into other solutions. Open interfaces offer all data records (signaling and application) as well as KPIs that can be accessed via defined methods. The PowerHawk Pro probe can also be used independently of PowerHark (Diagnostics suite and optional M5 Analyzer) as a simple capture probe to record network traffic in PCAP files or with advanced signaling analysis module and IP application analysis engines that provide preprocessed information in a timely manner. Signaling and application records are stored and indexed in a database.
REAL-TIME KPIS AND DETAILED USER-PLANE ANALYSIS
With PowerHawk Pro you get the most comprehensive at-a-glance view of your network’s performance and QoS. Control- and user-plane traffic are correlated across all interfaces to provide subscriber- and application-level KPIs and QoS analysis with drill-down capability into detailed message sequences and decoding. Analysis can be done in real time or with historical data. PowerHawk Pro offers two main easy-to-use analysis applications: Diagnostics suite and M5 Analyzer.
Rich Statistics and High-Performance IP and User-Plane Analysis
The Diagnostics suite shows signaling KPIs, QoS for subscribers and applications, IP and user-plane analysis, and IP application analysis to determine true network QoE. In brief, it provides:
- Signaling KPIs (attach, PDN, TA, etc.) per specific context, such as cell, TAC and cause values at LTE and PS core interfaces (S1, X2, S3, S10, S11, S13, Iu-PS, Gb, MAP, Gn)
- IP and session QoS (throughput, jitter, delay, round-trip delay, etc.) over time for subscribers and applications
- Ready charts and graphs for top talkers and applications, nodes under high load, DNS resolution times, top websites, etc.
- IP flow records with full IP session (S1-U) details:
- Transport (Ethernet, VLAN, MPLS), IP, application protocol, GTP-U support
- Session parameters such as throughput, type of service (ToS), session length, packets and bytes transferred
- Easy sorting and aggregation of sessions based on any parameter in the flow table view
- Drilldown into any specific flow using the Protocol Monitor application, for detailed signaling-level analysis
- Maximum analysis accuracy of applications with deep packet inspection:
- Additional information for IP sessions all the way to layer 7
- Over 1000 protocols with thousands of parameters
- Identification and classification of network applications
- Key parameters provided for each application
- Application quality measurements (subscriber’s QoE, top websites, web traffic QoS, audio/video analysis)